If you’re just installing a garage door, you just might be wondering, how much does it cost to install a garage door opener, particularly one that’s right for your budget and desire? You might however already have installed one and you wake up one morning and realize it’s not working. In such case, you’re thinking more along the lines of how much does it cost to replace a garage door opener? Knowing how much it costs to install a garage door opener as well as the factors that influence the cost of a garage door opener will help you make the best choice when trying to installing one.
Your garage is a major part of your apartment and is useful for parking your cars, used as a workshop area, mini-party, and any other thing you desire. You desire to install a garage door opener because you do not have a garage door opener or your garage door opener is broken. If your opener is broken, the garage door opener replacement cost may be generally lower than the cost of a fresh installation.
The installation cost is determined by the horsepower, cost of labor, and types of garage door opener. For installation, you can spend between $350 and $1,500. Some of the features of garage door openers are; remotes, manual release, security light, rail segments, keychain remote, and home automation system.
What Determines The Price of Installation For Garage Door Openers?
One of the questions that will ravage your mind when thinking about security for your premise is what kind of gate to install? In the quest to answer this question, you will consider various options.
Furthermore, to make the best decision, you will want to know what you stand to gain if you choose manual or electric gate installation. The few consequent lines will expose you to what you stand to gain if you choose electric gate installation.
Types of HP Ratings of Garage Door Opener Motor to Install
- ½ HP Garage Door Opener: It is the least rating with a price range of $100-$250. It can lift doors whose weight is not higher than 300 pounds. A motor with this power is less expensive but could need constant repair.
- ¾ HP Garage Door Opener: The price range is between $150-$400. It is suitable for homes with a fairly heavy garage door, not weightier than 500 pounds.
- 1 HP Garage Door Opener: This range is between $200 -$420. It is recommended for homes where the garage door is usually controlled frequently. Homes whose door is heavier than 500 pounds should opt for this too.
- 1 ¼ HP Garage Door Opener: This price ranges from $220 – $450. This kind is suitable for residents with heavy doors and more than one garage door. It will also last longer for a home with frequent garage door control.
- 1 ½ HP Garage Door Opener: This price is between $250- $500. It lasts longer and possesses more security features. Any motor with higher horsepower than this is usually recommended for commercial buildings or spaces.
- 2 HP Garage Door Opener: This ranges between $300 – $550. Although not common, it is best used in commercial property with heavy garage doors.
A professional should install your door opener for you because they have the expertise and experience. Asides from that, if anything goes wrong, they know what to do because they are professionals. Unlike a DIY that may not proceed well if complexities occur during installation.
The labor cost is about $55 – $90 on hourly bases, and the installation can last for 4 – 6 hours. The total labor cost ranges from $220 – $540 depending on the price per hour and time of completion.
Also, if you do not have an electric outlet in the garage close, the work of an electrician will be employed for wiring. The cost is usually between $55 – $150. Typically, these costs are included in the overhead garage door opener installation cost.
Types of Garage Door Openers to Install:
Your choice of garage door opener influences the cost to install garage door opener.
There are different types of garage door openers. They are screw, direct drive model, chain and belt kind of opener.
- Chain Driver Opener: It is the noisiest and needs more maintenance. The price range is between $120 and $230.
- Direct Drive Model: It is very strong and opens the garage door without a screw, chain, or belt. It costs between $270 and $400.
- Screw Drive Opener: It does not have any moving parts, requiring less maintenance. It is not advisable for heavy garage doors, and the price range is between $250 – $450.
- Belt Drive Opener: this kind of opener uses a belt instead of a chain to open the garage door. The price ranges from $180 – $420. It can also be connected to the internet or Wi-Fi.
Also, several manufacturers make different qualities of garage door openers. The difference in quality will automatically lead to a difference in price. Also, the garage door replacement cost would be higher where you’re changing to a different type of opener.
Garage Door Opener Installation FAQ
How hard is it to install a garage door opener?
It is not extremely difficult to install your garage door opener. It is a job easily handled by a professional.
How long does it take to install a garage door opener?
It takes about 3 – 6 hours to successfully install a garage door opener. The time taken also depends on the reason for installation. Usually, fixing a brand-new garage door opener takes more time than replacement and would typically incur a higher garage door opener installation cost.